The ACE Training Centre has been awarded the inaugural Innovation for Training Award at the 2019 Avalon Airshow.
The award-winning training centre was purpose-built to provide highly realistic mission simulation technology for helicopter pilots, aircrew and specialist personnel, such as air medical teams. Since opening its doors in October 2016, the world-class training facility with a focus on technical and non-technical skills has trained over 3000 people, setting the aeromedical training benchmark in Australia as well as internationally.
For Toll and NSW Ambulance, The ACE Training Centre has been a vision for, and an investment in, safety and standards – a step change in training systems that has delivered a higher level of professionalism in aviation and medical operations. It is viewed as one of the most advanced aeromedical training facilities in the world.
The training delivered to the Toll Ambulance Rescue crew, as well as operational and clinical crews from other Australian States, utilises the most modern training programs, techniques and the latest simulation technology including:
- an OEM Level D Full Motion Flight Simulator, certified by both the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA)
- a Complete Aircrew Training System (CATS) that provides a high fidelity and immersive virtual reality based training environment for aircrew and aeromedical crew
- dedicated, industry-leading Human Factors training through which industry lessons are studied and understood with identified improvements rapidly implemented into both training and operational doctrine
- a fully equipped HUET simulator capable of simulating a ditching helicopter (reconfigurable to reflect different aircraft types) in a variety of environments including: a fine day with nil wind and smooth water; limited light or night with lighting and thunder; winds of up to 45 knots and up to sea state three, which is waves of 1 metre;
- wet and dry live winch simulation devices
- a 120-seat auditorium with full audio visual suite for conducting large group learning events or symposiums
- a dedicated and fully connected training room to host contract-specific training or helicopter OEM (Leonardo)-type rating training
Australian Skills and Quality Authority (ASQA) recognised training packages, via Toll Helicopters’ Registered Training Organisation (RTO) status, to deliver certified training
- Certification as a provider of the AW139 OEM Full Flight Simulator which enables ACE to deliver the only OEM AW139 type rating course in the southern hemisphere and allow customers to train from around the globe.
NSW Ambulance Super Intendant Training Manager, Paul Kernick praised the facilities, commenting, “The unique and dynamic training available at The ACE Training Centre greatly enhances and maintains a positive safety culture across our industry.”
ACE Training Centre General Manager, Scott Watkins said the New South Wales (NSW) and Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Aeromedical operations are now enabled through the efforts of a dedicated training facility and support personnel.
“This is the first of its kind in the Asia Pacific region and one of the most significant investments in Helicopter Aeromedical operations in the world,” Mr Watkins said. “The newly established framework of integrated training truly reflects world’s best practice and our sense of service to the community.”
Award summary video: https://youtu.be/pAkJfuoxijk
Facebook: ACE Training Centre – facebook.com/tollacetrainingcentre
Twitter: ACE Training Centre – @ACE_training_