When the Royal Australian Navy held an International Fleet Review commemorating the centenary of its first fleet into Sydney, 20 nations and their naval vessels attended the celebration.
With its proud history of providing ship husbandry services to RAN among others, Toll was invited to play an integral role in the event logistics.
During the week-long celebration Sydney harbour hosted 18 foreign warships, 16 tall ships, 19 Australian Navy ships and 8,000 sailors.
The requirement was to provide support including personnel movement, diplomatic liaisons and provisioning to the vessels for the duration of the event.
From early in 2013 Toll's defence and government team began planning for the event – our role was to provide ship husbandry services to the USS Chosin (United States Navy), INS Sahyadri (Indian Navy) and the RSS Endeavour (Singaporean Navy).
The services we provided included:
- refuelling of warships in Newcastle and Sydney
- provision of deck, bridge and galley stores
- storage and delivery of high priority inbound spare parts, and on-going management of the ships’ post visit outgoing materials
- communication services, including the provision of mobile phones for each vessel
- transportation arrangements such as planning and the provision of a range of vehicles for the ships’ company
- quarantine, customs, border control and immigration management
- waste removal from vessels
- provision of harbour pilots for the transit voyage through the Great North East Passage
- diplomatic liaisons
- coordination of landside and waterborne security arrangements
Toll has a proud history of providing ship husbandry services to the Royal Australian Navy, among others, for more than 13 years.
Drawing on this experience and capability we were able to provide seamless, round the clock support throughout the entirety of the week.
Toll were recently awarded a contract with the US Navy to provide husbanding services for its Seventh Fleet. This agreement covers all Australian ports and 17 island nations in the Pacific.
Remote Logistics Head Office
Level 9, 145 Eagle Street
Brisbane QLD 4001