Our presence in China has grown exponentially since we first began delivering freight and logistics services in Guangzhou province.
As a Group, Toll has been in business for more than 125 years. From our humble beginnings in 1888 hauling coal by horse and cart in Newcastle, Australia, we’ve developed into one of the Asia Pacific region’s leading integrated logistics providers. We have a proud history of delivering innovative and operationally excellent transport and logistics services to an enormous range of customers around the world.
Our history in China
Toll’s businesses have been operating in greater China since the early 1980s. In 2006, Toll gained a significant footprint in China when we acquired SembCorp Logistics and its extensive Asian operations.
In 2008, we further expanded our presence and service capabilities in China when we acquired BALtrans, a global provider of freight forwarding and logistics services with a strong presence on China origin trade lanes. Later that year, we began operating in China under the Toll brand for the first time.
And our footprint and service capabilities in China continue to grow as we respond to our customers’ evolving needs. We now operate an extensive network that stretches across China, enabling us to provide a comprehensive suite of freight forwarding, transportation, warehouse logistics and relocation services.
Our continued investment in local infrastructure, assets and staff reflects our commitment to providing outstanding logistics and transport solutions for our customers in China.
At a glance:
- We own and operate an extensive network of distribution centres, warehouses and logistics facilities that are strategically located in key hubs across China.
- We have more than 270,000 square metres of warehouse space in China.
- We have offices across the country, in Beijing, Shenyang, Xian, Qingdao, Urumqi, Shanghai, Taicang, Yangzhou, Zhengzhou, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Kuming, Wuhan and Taiwan.
- We operate our local fleet of last mile and linehaul vehicles, and cover more than 1,700 cities nation-wide with our transportation and distribution services.
- We employ teams of highly experienced staff locally – our people in China have considerable expertise in freight forward, logistics, supply chain management and relocation services.
We’re a local provider with a global reach
Our highly experienced logistics and freight transport teams in China are backed not only by our operations in Singapore - where the Toll Group’s global freight forwarding operations are headquartered - but by the capabilities and global reach of the Toll Group.
With more than 40,000 people operating a network of some 1200 sites in more than 50 countries, Toll Group operates one of the largest and most extensive logistics networks in the Asia-Pacific region.
In 2015, Toll became part of Japan Post after an acquisition process that was overwhelmingly supported by Toll’s Board and its shareholders. Japan Post Holdings, one of the largest companies in the world , is looking to Toll to spearhead its global operations.
We continue to operate as Toll Group, with the same commitment to delivering excellent services for our customers, but we’re now growing globally with the support of Japan Post behind us. Together, we’re building one of the top logistics companies in the world
A commitment to operational excellence and continuous improvement
As a Group, Toll is fully committed to sustainable operational excellence - we take a structured approach to continuous improvement.
In China, we use Lean principles and framework tools to drive continuous improvement in operational excellence. And in 2011, we committed to applying 5S + 1, a methodology that uses five steps, or phases, to improve efficiency and safety across all of our workplaces.
Our continuous improvement initiatives in China include:
- introducing 5S + 1 across all of our regional distribution centres and offices in 2012
- implementing a formal, structured approach to continuous improvement of our service levels
- introducing control tower technology as a tool to monitor and optimise our operational performance
- implementation of an operational assessment tool to drive operational excellence at our regional distribution centres
- ongoing continuous improvement training for our staff
A focus on safety
We’re driven by our commitment to safety, a core value across the Toll Group. As a Group, we believe everyone has the right to go home safely, and that safety is everyone’s responsibility.
Our safety initiatives in China include:
- the implementation of safety policies and safety management systems
- regular safety training for all of our employees in China, and safety induction for all new staff
- defensive driver training
- driver fatigue management
- daily safety inspections at all of our sites
- regular safety audits at our sites
- incident investigation training
- monthly safety performance evaluations of our distribution centres
Our commitment to the environment
As a Group, Toll is committed to reducing the impact of our environmental footprint while continuing to deliver optimal logistics solutions for our customers. We see environmental sustainability as a core corporate responsibility, and we’re tackling it directly across our operations with our Smarter Green program.
We aim to create solutions that improve service delivery for our customers while reducing the impact of our environmental footprint.
In China, we’re leading the way in environmental initiatives, delivering some outstanding results in both carbon emission education and cost reduction.
Our environment initiatives in China include:
- educating our drivers about the environmental impacts of driving techniques, with the aim of substantially impacting vehicle fuel economy and vehicle emissions
- using energy-efficient vehicles and alternative fuels where possible and practical
- smarter planning to optimise our routes of transportation, reducing vehicle travelling times and therefore emissions
- recycling product packaging where possible – for example, improving recycling rates of pallets
- recycling secondary products as part of our supply chain and reverse logistics services, where possible