Preparing for the 10-year NSW helicopter rescue services
From January 2017, Toll will provide helicopter rescue services for the southern NSW region and ACT, providing critical patient retrieval and transfer, along with search and rescue services.
Awarded to Toll in 2014, the NSW Ambulance southern region service is the largest single helicopter contract in the medical retrieval and search and rescue fields within Australia.
Toll Helicopters is proud to have been entrusted with these highly valued community services. Every year in NSW and ACT, more than 3,000 flights are needed in response to emergencies such as car accidents, inter-hospital transfers and search and rescue missions.
To ensure we are responsive across this large service area, Toll Helicopters will operate eight new, purpose-built specialist medical helicopters from four bases.
A world-class Aeromedical Crewing Excellence Training Centre at Bankstown Airport will also be built and operated. A first in Australia, the facility will provide all aircrew serving the communities of NSW and ACT with best aeromedical training available in the country.
Our responsibilities during the 10-year contract include:
- Supply of eight new Augusta Westland 139 (AW139) helicopters, each configured for medical use and fitted out with specialist equipment
- Provision of full maintenance infrastructure, inventory and provision of engineering staff to ensure high helicopter availability
- Redevelopment of existing and development of new regional bases, with enhanced hangar accommodation and maintenance facilities
- Development of the world-class Aeromedical Crewing Excellence Training Centre at Bankstown Airport
- Training of all Toll Helicopters staff and medical personnel to ensure mission readiness
- Recruitment, induction and specialist training of all aircrew, engineers and other support personnel
In late 2015, we took ownership of the first of our new AW139 helicopters with seven more AW139s due to arrive in 2016 to complete our fleet.
As part of our preparations to begin service in 2017, we will recruit 100 helicopter and aeromedical specialists and train them in various mission scenarios; across all terrain environments and weather conditions.
Toll Helicopters HO
145 Eagle Street
Brisbane   QLD  4000